Northamptonshire SCB Logo

Northamptonshire Safeguarding Children Partnership Procedures Manual

Reporting Concerns

What to do if you are concerned about a child's safety or welfare.


If a child is in immediate danger, left alone or missing, contact the police and/or ambulance service directly on 999.

If there is no immediate danger, you will need to establish the level of need and risk before you take action. Thresholds and Pathways will help you to do this.

If you need advice about the levels of need and whether to make a referral, please contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).

If a child is at immediate risk you should call MASH on 0300 126 1000 and make a telephone referral, you will subsequently be required to put this in writing.

In all other circumstances to make a referral to the MASH please complete the online referral form.

Non Professionals / Parents, Carers and Young People:

If there is no immediate danger or if you need advice, contact the Northamptonshire Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub:


If you need to contact children's social care urgently during the evening, at night or at the weekend, phone our out of hours team on 01604 626938.

An operator will answer the phone and take details of the problem and your contact details. They will then pass this information over to the duty social worker.


What to do if you're worried a child is being abused: Advice for practitioners